I’ve been nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award by the lovely Rachael from Rachael’s Thoughts. We first met on the facebook group Big Up Your Blog, a fantastic community set up by Suzie and Em. Rachael blogs about all sorts and recently she has shared about her move back to the North East of the UK with hubby….just one week before Christmas! You can see her original nomination post here. Thank you so much, Rachael.
RULES FOR THIS AWARD :-
- Write a blog post to show your award
- Thank the blogger that nominated you
- Tell your readers how your blog started
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers
- Nominate other bloggers for the award
How my blog started…
In all honestly I knew nothing about blogging and it started on a complete whim, and as a little bit of a joke. I was going into hospital to have a spinal cord stimulator trial in the hope that I would find some relief from the chronic nerve pain in my leg and back – secondary to nerve root damage and a genetic condition Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Initially I asked my son to set up a blog thinking that friends and family could follow my progress and save hubby from too many phone calls. The kids thought it was hilarious – “why would anyone want to read anything you write, mum?”.
I had found advice and support online from others invaluable in the lead up to this, and if I could offer the same to anyone else then I wanted to give it. The writing process itself has been really therapeutic and I have found a lovely community out there – a chronic illness community who I can both support and gain support from, and some fantastic new friendship groups who are a lifeline for someone like me who spends increasing amounts of time on the sofa with symptom flares/deterioration.
I can’t quite believe that I am still here, tapping away and part of a world that just a couple of years ago I knew nothing about. My kids can’t either – and daily regret introducing me to Facebook, Instagram etc….but that is another story!
Two pieces of advice I want to give to new bloggers:
- Enjoy it! – Take it slowly, Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that, find your blogging feet and get into your writing groove whatever that may be. I know that there can be a tendency out there to focus on stats, followers, traffic etc…..but think about why you are doing this. Don’t get so embroiled in the numbers that you forget to enjoy the experience.
- Meet & support other bloggers – much the same as Rachael said in her post. Follow other blogs that interest you, leave likes and comments – generally engage. Join groups on Facebook – for me it was the Chronic Illness Bloggers and The Book Club on Facebook initially – and take part in threads and chats. If you are a social media dinosaur like yours truly, learn about Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest….but don’t try to do it all at once as you risk feeling swamped. None of them are going anywhere. But it is out there that you will find your community and then your own blog will grow…..but it isn’t a competition.
Keep sharing the words and the love!
Pin for later